 Robotics / 15482
Re: High Strength Powered Steerable pivot wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 12:56:51 GMT

Problem is coming up with a strong enough steerable joint.

All the replies were apparently trying to help you to create a steerable
wheel with no motors in the assembly.

Did you consider rotating the entire motor/wheel assembly?

The advantage is that you don't need a drive to go through the rotating
components, as a flexible wire can deal with the movement.

The disadvantage is that it's difficult to make a rotating device which
can deal with the vertical forces involved in the "shrimp" design.

Maybe you can keep the entire front as a rigid assembly and put the
mounting points on a turntable on the top of the shrimp?  It won't give
as tight a turn radius as rotating the drive wheel.

I don't suppose using Legos in the lost-wax process to make metal Lego
pieces, then welding them together, would be a fair way to solve the
strength problems.