 Robotics / 15481
Re: 27 IR signals by using the LEGO Remote Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:59:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Alano writes:
This is a good idea.

You could use the same principle to send 27 different values to a single RCX.
I.e. your one and only RCX could act as its own MUX.

Here's an encoding scheme that gives you 1 one-key combination, 3 two-key
combinations, and 6 3-key combinations. You pay a price for the shortcuts,
though. For 27 or more values you need at least 5 keystrokes. For values from • 11
to 253 you need 7 keystrokes (and a good wetware trinary calculator)!

Value : key combination
1 : 1
2 : 2 1
3 : 2 2
4 : 2 3
5 : 3 1 1
6 : 3 1 2
7 : 3 1 3
8 : 3 2 1
9 : 3 2 2
10: 3 2 3
11-253: 3 3 n n n n n, where n is 1, 2 or 3

Ahui Herrera wrote:

I've found a way to provide 27 IR signals from the LEGO remote control.

Alternatively, input 1 could be start/stop frame and input 2 and 3 could be 0
and 1 allowing you to enter any binary number (low bit first). This is workable
for us nerd couch potatoes who think in binary and are really fast with the
remote (Hey RCX, fetch me a soda)

Lester

Remember: A nerd is just a geek with a degree