 Robotics / 15472
15471  |  15473
Subject:
SHRIMP building was: Re: High Strength Powered Steerable pivot wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 19:25:44 GMT

"Nickle, Steven (2511)" wrote:

A steerable shrimp is a challenge.

In the near term, I've opted out of the "steer in place" requirement. That way I
go from four outputs to two. With an 8-wheel SHRIMP, I steer like a four-wheel
steered (FWS) car does at low speed. Also, I don't have to worry about the
friction of skid steering, which I found to be a major problem in my 8-wheel
Micro-SHRIMP (micromotor-powered SHRIMP).

Also the number of motors keeps things interesting
also.

I'm concerned about the power drain of my nine motors (9 x 250ma? = 2250ma!). I'm
thinking about powering the drive motors from a large battery box controlled by a
micromotor and polarity switch. But that will add so much weight, maybe two 9v
battery boxes in parallel would be better...

What's been the experience of those who have run that many motors simultaneously
from the RCX?

-Brian