 Robotics / 15267
15266  |  15268
Subject:
Now subscribe with Reply-To group or poster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:56:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dear LUGNET News-by-Mail subscribers,

I'm pleased to announce a new mail subscription feature...

When you subscribe to a group by mail, you can now select whether you want
to receive messages with replies directed to

   (a) just the poster/sender, or
   (b) back to the entire group/list.

Previously, the only "Reply-To" option was that replies went to the poster/
sender and that if you wanted to reply to the whole list, you would need to
be using an email package that supported a "Reply to All" feature.  (It's
hard to believe, but some email packages actually don't have such a
feature.)

Want to learn more?  Here is an example...  If you go here:

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/mail/sub/?lugnet.robotics

and you subscribe to lugnet.robotics, the "Delivery Mode" box will now show
these options:

   * Instant with Reply-To: Poster/Sender
   * Instant with Reply-To: Group/List
   * Digests Hourly
   * Digests Every 2 hours
   * Digests Every 3 hours
   * Digests Every 4 hours
   * Digests Every 6 hours
   * Digests Every 8 hours
   * Digests Twice daily
   * Digests Once Daily
   * Digests Once Weekly

If you select the second one in the drop-down list, then the "Reply-To:"
header field of the messages receive will be set to the group rather than
blank or to the person who posted it.

(Note: the Reply-To setting does not apply to digest mode; you cannot reply
directly to digest messages as they are incompatible with proper message
threading.)

If you are subscribed to multiple groups by mail, you can also "convert"
your subscriptions from one mode to another by going here:

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/mail/

and reselecting your currect subscriptions, selecting the radio button of
the mode you want, and clicking the "Update Subscriptions" button.

The default setting when you subscribe to a list is still to reply to the
poster/sender (not to the entire group/list) because it is less risky and it
is the traditional way that mailing lists have been run on the Internet for
twenty years; only in recent years have the tides begun to turn with replies
directed back to the entire list.  At any rate, whichever delivery mode you
choose is entirely up to you -- just make sure you choose the right one.  :)

Additional background:

   http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=15161
   http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=14
   http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=12097
   http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=12098

I sense this is a feature that's been desired for a very long time, so...
enjoy!  And let me know if you encounter any problems of incompatibility
with your email software.

--
Todd S. Lehman | LUGNET Admin <todd@lugnet.com>