 Robotics / 14730
  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

I have to disagree here. I have looked at all the current Mindstorms books and NONE of them are much use to the advanced user. I have only been into Minstorms for 4 months, but everything in these books, I had either figured out for myself, or found (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) Some of the "advanced" (according to Gordon's definition) engineering, physics, and math topics covered in "Creative Projects with LEGO Mindstorms": Engineering Aside: Feedback Engineering Aside: Top-Down and Bottom-Up Design Engineering (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) Perhaps this is because many of the authors have had Mindstorms webpages up before they published any books. True, if one is willing to spend a few hours researching on the web, one can find more info on Mindstorms than any one book can cover. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

Henry, Thats what I've found as well. My last post might have sounded a bit strong, but I get really annoyed when I go out and buy a book ($50-$100 in Australia), and read it from cover to cover in a couple of hours, and get nothing from it. This (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) Ben, My point was, if I already know a lot about the sort of things you have listed, where do I go now to take it to the next level. I haven't found that the available books on Mindstorms do this. For example, some ideas on robot navigation (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

This may have to do with the (debatable) fact that the Lego Mindstorms RIS is _not_ an "advanced robotic platform" It was engineered so that the average 12+ year old could play around with robotics concepts. It was never meant to to be the be-all of (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) Agreed. I think that is a long way though. If you look at a lot of the current research, it is about tiny systems. I don't want information on large and complex systems, but clever systems. I am really keen to have my robots learn for (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

Gordon, That is a good question. And I agree, there isn't much out there in this regard. In my book I talk about very simple (1D) robot navigation - remembering a place that you went to and going back to it. As far as more complex navigation goes (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

it will be good to see novelty. (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

Henry, I would have to disagree about the non-Mindstorms book part. If you could point out particular books that you liked then that would be helpful. When I was researching for ideas for my book I searched on sites like Amazon for "robot" and (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) I agree that finding books on behaviour is a bit difficult.. That dives into the big world of computer programming... The robotics books I am referring to are at college now, and next time I'm on campus I'll look up their names (sorry for the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)