 Robotics / 14213
  Re: Searching for alternatives

(...) [Cross posted to lugnet.robotics.palm] For the Agenda VR3d (Developer/Tech version) it's only $179 USD. That's an incredible price for what you get. Even If I had to create one of them little serial IR devices that someone mentioned being able (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.palm)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

(...) I actually own one of these devices - and I agree that it's *just* the very thing for Lego robotics. Some caveats: * Whilst it has a 'Commercial IR' port and an 'iRDA' port - the CIR is output-only. It's generally believed that the input iRDA (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

(...) That's a shame. Being this late in the game I would expect to see USB support and an expansion slot of some kind. (...) The keyboard is said to be IR linked. (...) Ah so I'm assuming it's not enough power to power a IR tower if need be? They (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.palm)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

(...) Oops! I must have mistook the 'wireless' word and imagined the IR part... It connects to the BUS port on the bottom. Rather interesting really. Seems it's a 1.3~ mhz serial bus. Dean -- Coin-Op's For Sale!: (URL) Lego Workshop: (URL) Lego (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.palm)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

What if we could get the tower circuitry made smaller (as in the classroom transmitter thread). It might be put as a 1/4" thick thing that clamps to the bottom of the device (also have lego studs on it?). Mr. Baker, could you tell us if there's any (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

(...) Well, if you want to hang it of the serial connector (which is *minute* BTW), then the connector itself might be good enough. The case has two small holes (about a millimeter in diameter - two millimeters deep) that are either side of the (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

Most of what has been discussed has been "How to make Palms or Agendas communicate using IR with 1 or more RCX bricks." I also considered for a while how to do as you say and have the PDA itself power the robot, but if you do so, you'll need a (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

I have been following this thread with great interest - as an avid seeker of alternatives. I would appreciate a link to some in depth info about the "Agenda" device if there is one. I also have a question; If you are proposing replacing the compute (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

(...) Go to the agenda's site. Click on the Developer program button on the left site and then under QUICK links select the archives... All the info on the meat of the device. Very cool stuff... Dean -- Coin-Op's For Sale!: (URL) Lego Workshop: (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

(...) All the 'good stuff' is on www.agendacomputing.com - check out the 'developer' links. (...) I wasn't proposing to replace the RCX - but merely to use the Agenda to provide *MUCH* more intelligence for the robot. I want to use the Agenda to run (...) (24 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Searching for alternatives

(...) Right - which is why I only want to use the PDA as the 'brains' of the robot with the RCX acting as a 'slave' that deals only with the low level mechanisms. (...) Well, I think speed (of communications) *is* an issue - but short of redesigning (...) (24 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)