 Robotics / 14083
Re: Rotational Sensor & Gearing Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:39:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Carsten Müller writes:
there might be one problem. If you are to fast, the RCX might loose some
ticks. The maximum speed depends on the used firmeware.

I find it really frustrating that this has to be "discovered" over and over.  I
believe my fix for LegOS (a year ago?) fixes this problem.

The sensor itself is very good.  It only ever returns the discrete voltages
(which vary by cable length and battery strength, but that is taken into
account).  It never returns "transient" values.  The only halfway-between-steps
values show up when the sensor moves between two steps during the analog
sampling period.  LegOS now ignores any analog readings which only persist for
one sample period.  Since the sensor will never stop on that middle reading
that's sufficient.

BTW I test the sensor by gearing it up a LOT (241:1 or more) and putting a long
lever on the input so I can really whip it around.  Then you can return to 0 by
moving the lever to a known spot.

--Ben