 Robotics / 14075
Re: Rotational Sensor & Gearing Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:27:16 GMT

Rebel Transcanner wrote:

"Bob Fay" <rfay@we.mediaone.net> wrote in message
news:G7MKLo.2tB@lugnet.com...
Rotation sensors will lose counts randomly in spite of the firmware.
I'll back that! It's totally hit-and-miss. I've done several tests on
different gearings (some running the thing off a micromotor...) and no
matter what, they *always* loose count. I'm really dissapointed with them,
and I've hardly used them for this exact reason. :(

   I think the PIC series of microcontrollers have some
sample code for reading quadrature-type rotational sensors
(a la mousewheels). Perhaps one could design a PIC-based
intermediate module that was dedicated to reading rotational
sensors reliably and reporting the values back to the RCX.

    Iain

Chris - Xenon
--
  Chris Hanson | Xenon@3DNature.com | I've got friends in low latitudes!