 Robotics / 14072
Re: Rotational Sensor & Gearing Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:28:12 GMT

What kinds of sprocket(s) does Lego currently use with tracks?

A long time ago (in decades), I remember a set that used
Caterpillar-link-style tracks, and they used a long-toothed sprocket to
drive the tracks.  It might work to put one of those sprockets in front of
a touch or light sensor, and one would count the "ticks" as the cogs passed
by.  Although in practice it might not be any more accurate than the
rotation sensor; one would have to experiment.

Hmm; I wonder if my folks still have those old sets around someplace... :)

Greg Betzel