 Robotics / 13879
Re: The need for chat server - a dissenting opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:54:07 GMT

Hi Matthias,

This is an excellent point you make. I agree that the nature of IRC doesn't
lend itself to directly contributing to the knowledge base of Lugnet.
However I also feel that many
problem-brainstorming-troubleshooting-solution cycles, and the knowledge
garnered from them never reach the Lugnet community because the person
involved didn't want to spend the time posting to the newsgroups, waiting
for replies, trying the suggestion, and repeating the cycle.

I think that a chat server could very well encourage group participation in
experimentation and troubleshooting, whereas the much slower cycle of
newsgroups can sometimes inhibit that sharing of knowledge and experience.
Certainly each system has it's advantages and drawbacks.

I also feel that realtime discussions in a chat server can be much more
fun. Talking to other lego robotics enthusiasts at the moment they are
actually working on something, and "being there" when they make it work,
seems like it would be lots of fun for everyone involved, even just passive
listeners.

And so that the solutions aren't lost, I think we could all encourage each
other to remember to post a note to the newsgroups summarizing the problem
and the solution.

(There is also the option of making the chat logs available and searchable
through a CGI interface. This would be fairly trivial to implement, but as
you mentioned, the signal-to-noise ratio might be too poor to make that
useful.)

Thanks for bringing up this point ... I'd love to hear what other think.

-Ross