 Robotics / 13820
13819  |  13821
Subject:
Need for chat server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:06:56 GMT

Hi all,

I was just curious if there is any interest in having an IRC chat server
for this mailing list. I manage a chat server for a major gaming company,
so I have the experience in installing, maintaining, and securing a chat
server. I can provide the machine as well.

For those of you that don't know, IRC stands for "Internet Relay Chat" ...
it's a form of chat that has been popular on the internet for many years.
There are several freely available IRC programs, the most popular being
mIRC available at www.mirc.com. You can connect to any IRC chat server
(there are thousands) and join rooms to chat with people on any number of
topics. This is "realtime" chat, meaning what you type is immediately sent
to everyone in the room. It's similar to the chat service built into the
instant messaging services such as ICQ. With IRC however, it's very easy to
create your own room by typing just one command. We could have rooms for
just about anything, RCX, Handyboard, contests, other languages, etc. Or we
could all just hang out in one big room. :)

Also, I'm a bit confused ... is this list mostly populated by Lugnet
members, or do they have their own mailing list? I notice they focus mainly
on news groups with a mail gateway option, but I wasn't sure if they had
their own standard mailing list. I'm a bit new to this community, but
having a blast so far!

So, please let me know if there is any need or interest in a chat server.
Thanks!

-Ross
webmaster@metacraft.com