 Robotics / 13872
13871  |  13873
Subject:
The need for chat server - a dissenting opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:32:16 GMT

Sorry, but I for one have to vote against the idea.

I appreciate that, given IRC's relative immediacy, there are some
advantages to being able to get an answer "right now". This assumes,
of course, that there is someone on-line with the answer "right now".
I have to wonder how often the true "need" actually arises such that a
user can't wait, and of those times, I wonder how often it would
coincide with someone having the answer. I suspect it is rather
infrequent.

Having said that, I have to acknowledge that a Lugnut IRC would offer
some real benefits, but I'm of the opinion that the these benefits
would be outweighed by the "cost".

"The cost", as I see it, is this: IRC discussions would not appear in
the Lugnet newsgroups (please correct me if I'm wrong). If it did, I
would think we would end up drowning in chatter and that would detract
from the true usefulness of Lugnet.

It should be pointed out/remembered that Lugnet is not just a
glorified BBS, it's also a useful knowledge base for all of us (at
least when the search functions are working). As a result, if someone
needs information they need only search the database for messages
pertaining to the subject at hand to find questions and answers that
may have been posed months ago. Granted the search functions/search
engine leave something to be desired, but I digress...

The fleeting nature of IRC means that the only people who will benefit
from discussions are the people where are there at the time.
Consequently a lot of useful information will be lost to the rest of
us. Unless, of course, the person posing the question and the people
answering then move over to their news readers to re-compose the
question and the answers and send them to Lugnet for the rest of us to
see at a later date and time. I can't seriously see anyone doing this.
As a result, while there is an immediate benefit for the person posing
the question, it's the quality of Lugnet that will lose out.

So there you have it: my argument for why it shouldn't be done.

Please direct all sticks, stones, tomatoes, mega-blocks to:

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ