 Robotics / 11999
Re: Autonomous Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 00:02:33 GMT

Although the idea of  vertical and horizontal lines seens good, I still
didn't figure out a good algoritm to deal with that. The light sensor
measures a mean light reflection. That means that if it over the edge of • a
black light and a white paper, the reading could be the same as the one • from
a gray line. I confess I still didn't try that. Sometimes you must see • the
robot working to figure out a solution...

You could measure transitions instead of single values. Sampling some • reads
at a specified time interval should help you to recognize the situation.

Sorry, Mario, I still didn't figure out your proposal. Could you explain
that better? Did you (or anybody else?) already did that? Maybe if I can
understand better looking at the code, if available...

I already got a lsaer pointer but i never figure out what to do with • that.
I bought a book ("Mobile Robots") that mentions a comercial robotic • vacuum
cleaner that uses a similar approach. He also have a rotating laser • pointer
but also have a rotating ligt sensor. In his case the stations are • passive
and and are designed to reflect the light back. these reflections are a • kind
of bar code to identify the stations. I liked the idea but didn't figure • out
how to do that yet.
Your idea is good also. The problem is the number of RCX needed. Line of
vision is a problem also, but could be dealt with.

I love your idea of using bike-style reflectors and making the stations
purely passive (in another post of yours).

In fact the idea is not mine. :) I read in previous post!

After all you already have an
idea of which station you are going to hit with the laser beam (from
odometry) so you don't need to identify it. Coupling the laser beam to a
light sensor should allow you to detect the reflected beam. As soon as I • get
back from my holidays I'll do some test.

That would be great. In fact I have more ideas than time to test them. :)

Happy holday!

Mauro