 Robotics / 12001
Re: Autonomous Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 06:35:27 GMT

"Mauro Vianna" <mauro_vianna@hotmail.com> wrote:
Although the idea of  vertical and horizontal lines seens good, I • still
didn't figure out a good algoritm to deal with that. The light sensor
measures a mean light reflection. That means that if it over the edge • of
black light and a white paper, the reading could be the same as the • one
from
a gray line. I confess I still didn't try that. Sometimes you must see • the
robot working to figure out a solution...

You could measure transitions instead of single values. Sampling some • reads
at a specified time interval should help you to recognize the situation.

Sorry, Mario, I still didn't figure out your proposal. Could you explain
that better? Did you (or anybody else?) already did that? Maybe if I can
understand better looking at the code, if available...

It's true that when you're on the border of the tape your light sensor reads
an average value, but if you continue in the same direction you will finally
get into the middle of the tape and supposing the tape is large enough you
will read the pure tape color (reflection intensity). So what you have to do
is keep reading until you pass the maximum (minimum) value and store the
latter to decode the tape.
Hope some meta code can clarify the idea (supposing the tape reads higher
values then the floor):

loop
   // while moving around, you monitor the light sensor
   max value = light sensor value
   if max value > floor reading            // tape found!
   {
      // look for maximum reading while crossing the tape
      loop
         new value = light sensor value
         if new value > max value
            max value = new value
         else
            exit loop   // readings are now decreasing so you're getting off
the tape
      end loop
      // decode max value to a specific tape
      if max value in tape1 range values
         tape is tape1
      else
         tape is tape2
      // from now on do whatever you want with this info
   }
end loop

Hope this helps... and works, I didn't test it  :-)

Mario