 Robotics / 11978
Re: Autonomous Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 07:38:02 GMT

Marco C. <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
At 14:56 03-08-2000 GMT, Jonathan Knudsen wrote:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/05/22/LegoMindstorms.html
You can use a differential to take the difference of the two motors'
output; if the motors are not moving at the same speed, you'll see some
movement on the rotation sensor.

Great approach :) ! Using "hardware" to "calculate" the delta, instead of
doing it by software, "wasting" a second rotation-sensor. Great :)

Yes. It *is* a great approach, if your task is to go straight. Unfortunately
it's not good for odometry, 'cause the delta alone is not enough to
calculate your position & heading.

My conclusion was that dead reckoning alone is not enough--you should
periodically calibrate with another navigation technique, like using
landmarks.

Yup, just like every multi sensor-enabled living beeing, using a mix of
memorised (/learned) map or path description with real-time adjustments to
it, by checking from time-to-time for landmarks while constantly
(inconsiently?) adapting the way to move and avoid obstacles.

That's why I see the "Where am I and how do I get there" problem only
solvable,  not by using simply "the best" technic, but through a *mix* of
these and other frequently "oposite" technics.

This is definitely true. And from what I read and understand the most used
combination is artificial landmarking in the long range and odometry in the
short one.

I'm curious to see what solutions Mauro will come up with and implement in
the end :)

I'm curious too :-)

Ciao
Mario