 Robotics / 11973
Re: Autonomous Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 03:11:25 GMT

3) A different landmarking approach could be using a laser beam to query
some base stations (if you're open to use a non-Lego laser pointer). The
idea is you have a roating laser pointer connected to a motor and a • rotation
sensor (multiplied to increase resolution). When the robot wants to
calculate its position, it stops and starts slowly rotating the laser • beam.
The base stations have a light sensor positioned at the same height of • the
laser beam. When the light sensor gets hit by the laser light, it reads
almost 100% and the base station transmit an IR message to say "got it".

Almost 100% is an understatement, a laser really saturates a
light sensor.  The problem is hitting it in the first place,
I found that next to impossible to achieve.  I'd rather go
for some strobe lights (good for identification by rhythm),
or maybe halogene lights, with the light sensor on the robot
like scanbot in Dave Baum's book.  I also tried candles
once, but they are to dim, they can be seen only from a
short distance, on the order of 10cm.

Jürgen

A direct hit is really almost impossible. That's what I found in mosts post
about this matter. But if you aims that in a reflective convex surface, it
will probably hit a light sensor in the emitter but with a smaller
intensity. It's worth a try. Another option is to use those reflectors used
in bycicles that reflects light to the direction of the emitter, no matter
the direction. Again, there is a loss in intensity, but the target is
bigger. I believe I read a post about it once here on this list.

Mauro
--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/