 Robotics / 11969
Re: Autonomous Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:44:12 GMT

My conclusion was that dead reckoning alone is not enough--you should
periodically calibrate with another navigation technique, like using
landmarks.

The proposed solution in the "Robot Tracking" thread sounds like it's
exactly what's needed here.

From the original post...

My company manufactures a tracking system for environmental surveying.  It
is a
complement to GPS for use in wooded areas and indoors. I have not worked
with the
RCX controller, but I am considering developing a very lightweight and
inexpensive
(~$200) tracking and control system for RCX controlled robots. The system
would
track the robot throughout a 20 ft x 20 ft room at a 1 Hz rate with an
accuracy of 1-2
inches. In principle, the system could also permit the computer to send
control signals
to the RCX to keep it on a predefined path, for instance. Is there any
interest in such a
system?

Bob Highfill

I say YES. :)