 Robotics / 11952
Re: Autonomous Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 01:44:55 GMT

What about a more powerful portable computer like the Palm, seat it on the
bot and have the bot press buttons when an object or wall is hit, this would
then translate to a line on a 2d drawing plain, the bot could press one
button for draw(hit) and other buttons for rotation. I have been toying with
the idea for some time now.

The Palms IR abilities should be able to deal with it no problem. If you
were a Palm programmer you could do it all with IR, as it is, I am just a
Java programmer so anything I would do could only involve sending data from
the palm as the Java implementation on the Palm is weak on notifying of IR
signals, but for drawing 2d Objects and sending IR packets it's ok.

Translating the bots moves into a position on a 2d canvas would work.

The bot would then be able to discover it's geography and draw it as a Perm.
record for use at any time. Taken to the next stage you could also get the
bot the find a few walls and then lookup (on the palm) a database of rooms
that it has already and start to use the closest match.

And another stage further, the bot could also draw(on the Palm) light
positions, making orientation possible.

put all this together and you get a bot that has a memory and is able to
learn!