 Robotics / 11204
RE: New user Needs Help from Any one who will....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 14:51:58 GMT

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, you wrote:

Check with your community to see if there are young (or old) folks that are
into LEGO who are willing to spend some time with you building the robots.
There are a couple of benefits to this which may not be obvious:

1. The other person (hopefully a high-school student) will get exposure
   to doing community service
2. The other person may benefit from learning about programming from you
3. You get the benefit of helping someone while they are helping you

Wow, what a cool challenge.  It certainly would be an interesting challenge to
develop some software to emit spoken directions, and I could imagine a few ways
of starting out on such a problem.  Don't know if I could actually _finish_
such a project, though.

What I can definitely say, though, is that if you're in the bay area and
reasonably close to Santa Clara I'd be more than happy to "lego" with you.  I
think there is a great possibility of true "synergy" (man, I hate using that
word) when you put a blind person and a sighted person together... in my
experiences, the blind person "sees" just as much as the sighted person, just
in a different space; imagine trying to build a robot in your head and solve
all the problems without actually seeing it work?  That's not necessarily a
handicap, just an incredible engineering problem and it causes you to sit back
and think about the problem in ways that a sighted person doesn't have to.  End
result, Joe sighted guy and Fred blind person both bring different perspectives
to the problem and together would be pretty much an unstoppable force.

Yeah, maybe I have ulterior motives, but I'd love to team up with someone who
thinks about problems in totally different ways than I do... think of the
problems we could whip.  I'm not a high-school student, I'm a technologist
and engineer at Sun microsystems, but I hope that wouldn't disqualify me. :)

-- Gary F.