 Robotics / 11126
RE: New user Needs Help from Any one who will....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:34:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Pat wrote:

I am a new user of the Ris 1.5 system.   I was hoping this list might help
me- a totally Blind user of the kit with building instructions for the
basic robots.

This is a unique challenge, folks. Are we up to it? Short of writing some
software to translate DAT files to spoken words (which would be very
difficult) here is my humble contribution:

Check with your community to see if there are young (or old) folks that are
into LEGO who are willing to spend some time with you building the robots.
There are a couple of benefits to this which may not be obvious:

1. The other person (hopefully a high-school student) will get exposure
   to doing community service
2. The other person may benefit from learning about programming from you
3. You get the benefit of helping someone while they are helping you

One way to have fun with this is to have the other person build a step and
then hand you the completed step. Then they remove the parts that were
added and you can identify the parts and figure out where they go.

Part of the magic of robotics is seeing how the mechanisms go together and
how they interact to perform a task. I cannot imagine the obstacles of
doing this without sight.

Seeing a directional transmission or differential, or even watching your
bot crash into obstacles is an importand feedback element in debugging
the operation of your bot.

Please keep the group informed as to your progress with this...I'm
sure we all would like to know how you make out.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com