 Robotics / 11205
11204  |  11206
Subject:
Will RCX work on PowerBook G3?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:12:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.robotics, Matthew Wilkins writes:
Two things:
1. The proper cable to hook a Mindstorms IR Tower to a Mac isn't that
creative; it's available from http://pitsco-legodacta-store.com/ in the
RoboLab components page. It's just a Mac serial to 9-pin serial cable.

2. There shouldn't be any reason that the IR port on your PB wouldn't program
the RCX; it should only be a SMOP for the output to the IR port.

I am having difficulties hooking up RoboLab to a PowerBook G3.  First, I am
used to a Windows machine, but have had exposure to Macintoshes for many
years.  The PowerBook differs from a regular Macintosh as it does not have a
real 9-pin serial cable output (that port is an external video port).

Here is the list of ports available on a PowerBook G3: Sound output port,
Sound input port, 2 USB ports, Ethernet port, SCSI port, External TV out
port, External video port, Internal modem port.

Before I buy any more connectors or adapters, I would like to know if
RoboLab has worked on a PowerBook G3, and especially if it has output
information to the RCX Brick.  If it has, what was the connection setup for
this?  My thinking is that I _could_ purchase an adapter from the modem
(normal phone line) to the 9-pin serial port on the back of the RoboLab's IR
transmitter unit.  Will this work?  What have other folks done?