 Robotics / 11206
Re: The Lego Group is proud to present ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:25:11 GMT

What do you mean by TURNING SENSE?

Robb,
----- Original Message -----
From: Simon Bogaert <Simon.Bogaert@advalvas.be>
To: Lugnet.robotics newsgroup <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 2:03 PM
Subject: The Lego Group is proud to present ...

Hello, Lego fans!

This is what I read in a press communiqué tonight:
The Lego Group is proud to present: The Torque Sensor.  It is being
described as "a small grey box whith a black axle sticking out of it, and an
electric connector at the top of it".  It can measure the amount of torque
applied to an axle  You connect it to the RCX in the normal way of doing so
with a sensor, and all new RCXes will be shipped with two of them.

Ok, Ok, it's a joke.  there wasn't a press comuniqué published this night,
at least, not that I know of.  But there is something new.  I don't know if
someone pointed is out already, but you can connect a geared Lego motor to
an RCX input.  it will turn slowly, and if being stalled, it will return a
value in the way a light sensor does.  This way, you can measure the torque
applied to an axle.  If the axle isn't stalled, the motor turns freely, and
the sensor reading should be 0 %.  If you stop the axle completely, the
reading will be 100.

For instance, you could calculate the angle of a hill you are driving up, by
connecting a sensor/motor mechanically to the drivetrain of the car.  You
have to watch out that the turning sense of your propulsion motor and the
motor/sensor are the same, otherwise, The motor/sensor will suck all the
power out of your batteries. (I have seen it happen)

Now we all have another unoffical Lego part used as a sensor (remember the
FOS unit?) to toy around with

Simon