 Publishing / 4131
Re: MOCpages is here -- Free web hosting for LEGO creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:57:19 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Sean Kenney writes:
Rest assured, it's a standard legal disclaimer that you'll find on
any site, from Lugnet to Amazon and everything in-between.

MOCpages is not like Lugnet or Amazon. It involves creative works potentially
of significantly greater effort than a user of Lugnet would contribute there,
or a reviewer on Amazon would contribute there, and it includes graphical
content. In short, it's a medium of content creation and not simply a medium of
communication, and the user-supplied content is potentially of considerably
greater worth.

Of particular concern is the third-party clause. As written, your TOC gives you
the right to, for example, publish a "100 Cool LEGO Projects" book, or
grant/sell permission to another party to do so, and allows you to alter the
presentation of those projects, without consent or compensation. Also, and this
is the big problem that I have, most print publishers do not accept submissions
that were previously published, so even a magazine spread featuring something I
posted to MOCpages might prevent me from publishing it myself.

I *did* have a clause in there that said that all content was property
of the uploader,

I'd consider the other clauses of your TOC to make this addition essentially
wothless.

Don't get me wrong. I think MOCpages is really cool. It has a ton of features
and is nearly bug-free right from the start. Good work.

A.