 Publishing / 4110
Re: MOCpages is here -- Free web hosting for LEGO creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:52:45 GMT

Great site, lots of nice features and a good looking interface. Another
fantastic addition to the range of functionallity that is open to the Lego
Loving public :)
Top marks

--
James Stacey
------

"Sean Kenney" <sean@seankenney.com> wrote in message
MOCpages is now ready for everyone to use!
http://www.mocpages.com

For those of you that missed the original post, MOCpages.com offers free • web
hosting for Lego-related web pages.  ( See this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=1993 )  I'd like to thank the dozen or • so
people that have been helping out over the past few weeks and reporting • bugs
to me.  Special thanks to John Neal and Tim Courtney for their above - • and -
beyond testing efforts.

To learn more about it, visit http://www.mocpages.com/about/learnmore.php
MOCpages works with your Brickshelf galleries, so there isn't any "double
uploading".  Just paste in the URL of a Brickshelf folder, add some
captions, and MOCpages does the rest.  There are tons of great features,
like reviews, ratings, a search engine, and more.  Everything is very easy
to use, as I am sure the people who are using it now can attest to.  So • far,
over 65 people have already signed up, over 200 MOCs have been uploaded, • and
over 57,000 pages have been served during the public beta.

If you have any comments on the web service, please send them my way; I • try
to respond to everyone in a reasonable amount of time, but don't forget • that
it's just me right now.  And, if you notice a bug, please send an e-mail • to
bugs@mocpages.com.  (Although everything seems to be running fine.  We • came
across 2 bugs this week, which were the first ones in a while.)

This release

1. I will be patching in "help" pages slowly as time goes on.  There are a
few there now, but the majority have yet to be written.  In the meantime, • if
you have questions that aren't answered by the "help" pages, send me an • e-mail.

2. MOCpages has undergone 4 minor relases and 19 patches before being
promoted to the "1.0" version that you are using now.  Other than small
patches to emergencies that may pop up, MOCpages will remain "as is" until
the next major release.  (I have not determined when that will be; it is
dependant on a lot of factors.)

3. The directories will slowly change as new MOCs are added to the web • site.
For example, don't be surprised if you add a MOC to "Back in Time > • Castle"
and find that it is soon relocated to "Back in Time > Castle > Inns &
Taverns".  (Thanks, Nick Oranzi, for that particular suggestion.)  These
categories will grow based on what kind of MOCs you create; I will be
keeping an eye on things, and listening to your suggestions.

The future of MOCpages

1. MOCpages is running on a computer that will suffice for the first 6 to • 12
months.  As traffic increases, and as more and more MOCs are added, I will
move everything to a faster computer with more storage.  I'll keep • everyone
posted as things progress.

2. I have published a list of "ideas"; it shows features that would be • nice
to add to MOCpages in the future.  (It is linked off the home page in the
lower right.)  If you have an idea that isn't on the list, feel free to • send
a message to ideas@mocpages.com

I guess that's everything for now.

Cheers,
Sean

Sean Kenney
sean@mocpages.com
- - -
MOCpages :: Free web hosting for your LEGO creations