 Publishing / 4114
Re: MOCpages is here -- Free web hosting for LEGO creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 06:51:38 GMT

Mark:

Don't worry ... It's not anything dubious.  This is a standard legal
disclaimer that says you allow MOCpages to show your creations to people
over the internet and allow us to store your information.  The same
disclaimer is present on every kind of site, from Lugnet to Amazon.

As a rule (and stated in the MOCpages privacy policy), MOCpages will never
do anything with your information without your consent, unless required to
by law.  (And I don't see how that could ever happen.)

I am not a lawyer, but I will do my best to explain the blurb you have
highlighted in "normal english".  ("This  does not subsitute for actual
legal advice or representation".)  :)

Use, copy, publish, [..] publicly perform, or display any such communication
in any medium, and to

Don't forget -- web sites "publish" your creations around the world.  This
means that you allow MOCpages to distribute your MOCs over the Internet.
"Any medium" covers the varied forms of media over the internet such as
images, text, movies, and whatever the future may hold.  (VRML dat files??
Who knows!)

[..] adapt, transmit, archive, restore, [..]

This says that you allow MOCpages to store your stuff on our servers,
transfer the data from computer to computer when doing backups, convert the
data for upgrades to new software sytems, etc.

Sub-license to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any or all
of the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.

Third-parties are any companies that MOCpages does buisness with in order to
keep the service running.  For example, I use a commercial web hosting
facility ...  so, technically, they are the ones doing the "publishing", not
MOCpages.

Hope this helps.  Bottom line, I'm a nice guy; MOCpages is here for everyone
to share and grow.  I'm not going do anything evil. :)

Hope all this helps.

Cheers,
Sean

- - -
Sean Kenney
MOCpages Administrator
sean@mocpages.com

In lugnet.publish, Mark Papenfuss writes:
In lugnet.announce.mocpages, Sean Kenney writes:
MOCpages is now ready for everyone to use!
http://www.mocpages.com

Hi Sean, great site and service! Just one question though...

Reading thru the TOS I see this:

------------
We may reproduce your content.
By writing reviews, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any
other form of communication through this service, you are granting MOCpages
and its owners a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty- free, unrestricted,
non-exclusive, worldwide license to:

Use, copy, publish, sub-license, adapt, transmit, archive, restore, publicly
perform, or display any such communication in any medium, and to

Sub-license to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any or all
of the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.
------------

What exactly does this mean? Are there plans on selling people's MOC
pictures at a later date? Can you clarify if there are any plans, and what
those plans are or may include? I really do not like the idea of my pictures
and ideas being sold to outside services without some of the money making
its way into my pocket ;)

Or is this just part of a "cookie-cutter, one legal disclamer fit all" type
of TOS?

Thanks for any info on this.

Mark P

- - -
MOCpages :: Free web hosting for your LEGO creations