 Publishing / 1687
Re: Lego disclaimers on sites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:43:51 GMT

That concentration camp is the STRANGEST model I've ever seen.  Actually, I
have to say that the photography and box layout is very well done, but its a
very politically loaded subject.  I can see how people in Poland would have
been particularly outraged.

Why?  He is trying to show the _horror_ of it. I have not been to Auschwitz,
but I _will_ go the next time I am in Europe.  These sets were ment to be stark
reminders of what we can and have done to each other.  I have friends who won't
speak to me about what they have seen done to other humans, and reminding the
rest of the world that "stuff" like that goes on is important.  We don't see it
every day, and it needs to be kept in the front of peoples minds.

I suppose that the artist was trying to shock the public by mixing something
so benign as LEGO with something so atrocious.  It certainly did bring a
"paradoxical' feeling to mind when viewing it.

I would hardly call it a paradoxical feeling, I was at one and the same
sickened and heartened by it, heartened that someone had taken the
time/effort/energy to get it right.  I feel that this artist is dead right in
what he has created, that to use a childerens toy to do so is no more offensive
than anything else is.  When you are talking about something that is so
offensive that it was effectivly banished for 25 years, why is the use of a toy
to present artwork on it a bad thing?

LS James Powell
(and yes, my grandparents were on the UK blacklist...what do you expect for a
Liverpool Aux bobby?)