 Publishing / 1674
Re: Lego disclaimers on sites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:31:29 GMT

I put a disclaimer up because everyone else does, and while I do not think that
anyone would confuse my site with the official LEGO site I figured it was the
least I could do to make it absolutely clear that I was not trying to represent
the LEGO Group. My address is

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego

So, I have the word LEGO in my address but I cannot believe that anyone would
think that a site served from a chemistry department at a university would
actually be the official site of a international mega-corporation. I also think
since ~lego is actually a directory and not a domain name it really shouldn't be
a big deal. Of course, I haven't heard one way or another from LEGO and since it
is part of an address they may consider it unfair. I think the address quite
clearly shows that it is a fan page which deals with a fan's LEGO creations.

Personally, I think your disclaimer is certainly enough, and I do not have a
problem with your address. After all part of our excitement about LEGO is because
it is LEGO not that it is a construct toy. Are there many MegaBlocks sites out
there? Are any of the MegaBlocks sites saying that they are LEGO? (That would get
LEGO into a tizzy for sure!)

Also, I think the LEGO brand name is put more in danger by adds that feature toys
that look like LEGO but aren't LEGO. As an example, the Peugot add that showed up
here a while ago. At first glance everyone thinks it is LEGO, only in the fine
print is it revealed that the car in not LEGO.

I think LEGO would not like the way I am using the word LEGO. For me LEGO means
the company or the bricks. Regardless of the party-line that is what LEGO means
to most of us, I think. LEGO Software is LEGO Software, LEGO suitcases and LEGO
clothes are LEGO Suitcases and LEGO Clothes, but LEGO Bricks well thats LEGO.

I think of it this way...I am pretending to be LEGO? No.
Am I saying untrue things about LEGO? No.
Am I saying bad things about LEGO? No. Actually, I have no problems saying bad
things, so long as they are true.

Chris

Shiri Dori wrote:

(FUT .publish)

OK, one last thing for the day.

I was wondering about disclaimers on lego sites. I know it's pretty cutomary
to put up disclaimers on fan-made sites, and part of the lego fair-play policy
(IIRC).

But how many people were actually contacted by TLC regarding their sites?
And what did TLC ask you, specifically, to do?
(I'm not being critical, I'd really like to know)

I started my own site (1) not long ago. I put a disclaimer on the front page.
But now I added a disclaimer at the top of each page in the site (first thing
after header). My disclaimer says:
"Just to make it clear: The Lego Company does not endorse or support this site
in any way. Visit their site." Whereas 'site' is a link to www.lego.com .
I'm not sure if this is enough.

Also, my site's name contains lego ("CastLEGO") - would that have a potential
for future problems with TLC? Did anyone have a problem with lego in the title
of their site, or URL ("shiri_lego")?

TIA,
-Shiri

(1) <plug> http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/ </plug>