 Publishing / 1670
Re: Lego disclaimers on sites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:59:59 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Shiri Dori writes:
(FUT .publish)

OK, one last thing for the day.

I was wondering about disclaimers on lego sites. I know it's pretty cutomary
to put up disclaimers on fan-made sites, and part of the lego fair-play policy
(IIRC).

But how many people were actually contacted by TLC regarding their sites?
And what did TLC ask you, specifically, to do?
(I'm not being critical, I'd really like to know)

I started my own site (1) not long ago. I put a disclaimer on the front page.
But now I added a disclaimer at the top of each page in the site (first thing
after header). My disclaimer says:
"Just to make it clear: The Lego Company does not endorse or support this site
in any way. Visit their site." Whereas 'site' is a link to www.lego.com .
I'm not sure if this is enough.

Also, my site's name contains lego ("CastLEGO") - would that have a potential
for future problems with TLC? Did anyone have a problem with lego in the title
of their site, or URL ("shiri_lego")?

TIA,
-Shiri

(1) <plug> http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/ </plug>
Hi Shiri,
I'll try to, in a limited way, explain to you the evolution of the disclaimer.
Just as I started to join the internet community, and RTL/AFOL in general,
some four years (has it been almost 4 years now?) ago, a great howl was heard
from many a person and company/corp/bussiness concern/enterprise, that their
intangables were being re-used, subverted, and profit being obtained through
false representation of these intangables. This lead TLC (at the time TLG) to
send out the hounds, (lawyers) to contrive a list of fair play statements, and
to try to prosecute those who did not comply with them.
  So, somewhere in that time period, AFOL's started, like me, putting up Fan
based sites, and the numbers of them were popping up like mushrooms after a
spring rain. Some of these sites were real good, very few were bad or
derogitory. TLC's lawyers went after a few of them, or so I've heard, and they
were especially sensitive after that artist used Lego to create Concentration
Camp based sets and packaged them to look like "real" lego sets. (If you
haven't seen this, you'll probably be freaked out but here's the url:
http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm).
  But there then there were so many of us that I think that the finally
realized that beating up some of us legally, was really just bashing
themselves, and that "we" AFOL were policing ourselves well enough. I've never
been contacted by any representatives of TLC, for good or bad. I've also have
a whole Disclaimer page on my site, which does try to focus on the issues that
Lego would be concerned about. I've even made it a point to email them to say,
hey would it be ok to use your symbol, only and just only to point people back
to your site, much the way that Mega Bloks said that I could do with their
symbol, (yes they did respond and helped me shape the statement, so Todd, the
cluetrain manifesto had been working at MB for some time now). Like I said,
now answer, so you see what I have there. As far as I'm concerned at this
time, I've done my web-civic duty and made my statement that my stuff isn't
supported by anyone, but me.  It's smart to do so, it's polite, and it really
doesn't hurt you, and you can cover a lot of ground if you get other people's
stuff on your site.
  I hope this helps.
Rich
--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)
Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****