 Publishing / 157
156  |  158
Subject:
Rendering chrome pieces in POV-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:38:40 GMT

I can't recall having seen any LDraw models rendered in POV-Ray using
chrome pieces, so I thought I'd show an example how it can be done.

One way is to use one unique colour for the chrome pieces when compiling
the model in LDraw.  After doing the dat->pov transformation with L3P,
say, one can then alter the declaration of that specific colour.

I chose the magenta colour, number 5 in LDraw.  This is what it looks
like in POV-Ray after an L3p transformation:

#declare Color5 = texture {
pigment { rgb <0.627451,0.313726,0.498039> }
finish { ambient AMB diffuse DIF phong 0.5 phong_size 40 reflection 0.08 }
}

Now, to get a proper chrome look, change this before rendering to

#declare Color5 = texture {
finish { ambient 0  diffuse 0 reflection 1}
}

Here's a very simple example, in which I used the elbow and straight
exhaust pieces from 5571 to make a simple space scooter (imagine a
minifig standing on the center platform):

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/system/space-scooter/

I could probably have chosen a better example, but I hope you get the
general idea.

This technique is just something I came up with myself, and my thus be
wrong.  Comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Fredrik