 Publishing / 165
Re: Rendering chrome pieces in POV-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:16:55 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner (fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no) wrote:

| Sorry for answering this article twice.  I just checked the FAQ more
| thoroughly, and noted that 7*16 + 15 + 256 = 383, that is, 383 is a
| dithered colour consisting of white and grey.

Yes. The current version of LDraw renders colour 383 as a mixture of white
and grey. But we have defined colour 383 to be chrome - which of cause
means that it can't be used if you just want to mix white and grey to get a
lighter grey.

| So if a conversion tool converted this to a mirrory, shiny surface, this
| would probably be an inconsistent practice, as the same number can also
| be used to obtain a white/grey dithered surface.

Can but shouldn't!

Play well,

Jacob

             --  E-mail: Jacob.Sparre.Andersen@risoe.dk  --