 Publishing / 186
Re: Rendering chrome pieces in POV-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 18:32:44 GMT

Once upon a time, Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se>
wrote:

I think I have mentioned this before, but don't remember if it turned out
anywhere.
I want a file in the LDraw directory that could be shared by various
programs and utilities, let's say COLORS.LST.

I had started work on a Windows-based LDraw rendering program when
Paul Gyugyi announced he was working on LDLite (so I gave up my work).
That program included a COLOR meta-command, so users could
define/redefine the colors.  It also included a COLORS.DAT file, which
was always processed by the renderer before the model.  My syntax for
the color-definition was:

0 COLOR SOLID  [Code] [Palette Index] [Complement P.I.] [LSB-RGB]
0 COLOR TRANS  [Code] [Palette Index] [Complement P.I.]
0 COLOR DITHER [Code] [Palette Index] [Complement P.I.] [Dither P.I.]

I re-worked this somewhat during a similar discussion on the L-CAD
list, but I don't have a record of what I posted.  I think it was
something like:

0 COLOR <Code> <RGB> [DITHER <RGB>] [TRANS <Value>]

I think it's a good idea to use a meta-command syntax--it allows
renderers to recognize color-commands embedded in models.

But it's also a good idea to have a single file with the 'official'
color definitions.  Or multiple files, even.

Steve