 Publishing / 185
Re: Rendering chrome pieces in POV-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:24:48 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

It seems more likely that users would want chrome rather than a
non-LEGO extra-light gray.  So practicality should win over
consistency, and the conversion tool should render color #383 as a
chrome texture.

Yes, I agree.  This sounds very reasonable.

Fredrik

I think I have mentioned this before, but don't remember if it turned out
anywhere.
I want a file in the LDraw directory that could be shared by various
programs and utilities, let's say COLORS.LST.
To begin with, it should be text based.

1. I want the two first columns from each line to be:
Colour-name LDraw-number,
example:
BLACK 0

2. Next three could preferrably be the RGB values.
I would like the values 0-255 in non-hex, integer presentation, but if
there is a majority for another format, it would be OK for me.
example:
WHITE 15 255 255 255

3. I want support for multiple colour defenitions, like:
GREY 7 127 127 127 (...or whatever...)
GRAY 7 127 127 127

Then some stuff for LDLite and/or POV translations could follow. I know
too little to suggest the format for the rest, but something like
Transperacy=0, Reflexibility=1, or maybe just T=0 R=1... only where the
defaults should be overridden.  But that's up to you experts to argue
about. :)

4. I want this list to be compiled as soon as possible, before agreement
on POV format is reached. We could build up the format by adding new
parameters from the left, and let our programs ignore any new,
unsupported parameter.

What do you say, folks? Could we take a quick decision on this? :/

/Tore