 Pirates / 684
Re: Great Brickain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:18:18 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Richard Parsons wrote:

Tony Priestman wrote in message ...
Mr L F Braun wrote

ateast 5 minutes of <SNIPPAGE>

Certainly the challenge of building a junk alone would be
worthwhile, and you could use those Ninja minifigs to good effect (The
differences in dress across the Sea of Japan weren't as great as nationalists
might have you believe).

(Odd Trivia Bit:  The Chinese treasure fleet of Hseng Ho in 1451 was the largest
fleet ever assembled, tonnagewise, before the Allied fleet at the Battle of
Leyte Gulf in 1944.  Some of the junks that sailed to East Africa were over 200m
in length with six enormous masts, and the assembled fleet carried over 40,000
people--and was commanded by a eunuch.  Go figure!  Let's just say that these
are people who *know* how to sail...whether two masts or six.)

best,

Lindsay (your local historian)

I have been working on a junk for sometime....you would be surprised at how
scarce good pictures of these ships are...

I finally have enough basic bricks and plates to gie it another go.....I
tried a red version.....whick I name the "chunky Junk"....sometimes too
square....sometimes too wide...

To approximate one the size of an Imperial Flagship, which was my goal from
the outset, uses alot of bricks and plates quickly....I wanted a ship to
accomodate 10-12 men without having them hanging from the rigging or being
dragged in a dingy behind...

Chromatic variation becomes an issue, given that I am using primarily Ninja
theme figures w/ a couple of Star Wars modified characters.  All of the red
ones blend in too much to the rest of the ship.  I would love it if I coud
do a brown junk, but even after Lego-direct this may not be possible for a
log time.  I have decided to go w/ a two tone Junk w/ a Black lower hull and
red upper structures...interspersed w/ brown railings....rigging...if I
don't trade it all away again and some other colors thrown in to break up
the monotony...

My Big Cat-out-of the bag part of the project....I am using many of those
vinyl Ninja Glider Wings that I have acquired to fashion a sail....the
shabby imprints on the wings lend to the Asian Pirate ship I am trying to
create...I remember reading much about Shanghai and other pirates that
menaced Chinese coastal trading...

My goal is to design Chinese Pirates to menace my Ninja theme galleys and my
future settlement...Maybe the Junk can seek refuge in Port Block after
lootig the riches of my Shogun Legomoto and the Emperor Brick-shito....oh
the leadwer of the Chinese Pirates is a Disgraced Samurai named Maulagai
(you can read how I designed these characters in Build.minfigures)