 Pirates / 3733
Re: Why the early end to 10040 Black Seas Barracuda?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:13:52 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Christopher Wiggenhorn wrote:
I just noticed tonight that the 10040 is listed as sold out (as opposed to being
on back order, which would give me a ray of hope).  It was my understanding that
Legends were intended to be long-running releases (see
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=38).

Based on http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=5237 and
http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=3676 it would seem that was available at most
15-16 months.  With most releases sticking around for at least 2 years, this
caught me off guard.

-Christopher

I would guess the main reason would be it isn't selling! No matter how desired a
product once was, eventually the sales peter out (Hogwarts Castle for historical
reference).

Add to that the color change, they would have to produce all of the hull pieces
in new brown, all the canons in new grey, (to which if I got the set in those
colors, I would be less than pleased!) etc..... They are phasing out all the old
colors, and with a set whose sales have stagnated, there is no need from a
company standpoint to continue to produce it!

I guess this also raises the question of future Legends sets, will they be in
the new color palette?

And if none of that could be the answer, I think it might have something to do
with the upcoming release of the new Jack Stone pirate sets.

Just my opinion!

Bill