 Pirates / 3746
Re: The Pirate Game - Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:14:00 GMT

"Clangador" <clangador@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:HvCoB8.yMM@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
SNIP
  As
already mentioned, the Orient Adventures mini-junk is an excellent • little ship
to start a fleet of small "cutters" with - just replace the crossbows on • the bow
with a cannon.

-->Bruce<--

Well, I have three of the junks already and have parts to build 6 or more
cutters. So, no problems there. The real problem is going to be getting • bigger
ships. The large boats are hard to find and expensive. I might have to • build
mine for the ground up.

The 10x7 boat bow bricks (which appear in the new fireboat as the newest
set, but also in several older sets, though I don't think any of the older
sets are still on the shelves) can be used to make decent looking larger
ships. It's quite easy to build a class 2 ship this way, and you can
probably even do a class 3 that will look good. There are also plenty of
examples of brick built hulls that look very good (you could always get the
Constitution as an example). There also will be a new Pirate Junior theme
coming later this year which will provide hulls, masts, and sails.

Check out BrickLink. I have found some pretty reasonable price parts there.
Here's a search for hull pieces:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=hull&searchSort=P&sz=100

There's some amazingly cheap prices.

If you play a campaign game for 8ish hours, you will need a few more cutters
than players, and about one larger ship (class 2-4, about half class 2) per
player. If you play just a battle game for 3 or 4 hours, you can have quite
a lot of fun with just cutters. Even if you just want to play battle games,
I'd reccomend starting with cutters. Then as you get more comfortable with
the game you can graduate to larger ships.

Another issue is crew. You will need a lot of swabbies. In a good campaign
game you will probably need about 20 swabbies per player (they start with
10, but they will recruit more as the game proceeds). If you run a large
battle with larger ships, you'll need even more swabbies (I actually shudder
at the though of running say a 10 player game with each player controlling a
class 7 ship or 2 or 3 smaller ships - you would need about 500 pirates). If
you run really large games, you're going to look at the table that lets you
resolve multiple small arms shots with a single roll.

I have a question about guns. How should I mount them? Broadsides or • pivots is
the main question.

The way I play the game is that cutters always have their cannon on a swivel
mount. On larger ships, I also have one cannon on a swivel mount. On the
16-wide ships, I allow 2 cannon on swivel mounts. For the broadsides cannon,
I allow a ship to have gunports on both sides, where a pair counts as a
single cannon (you can fire each pair only from one side, and if you lose a
cannon, you lose the pair). For narrower ships that you can't actually fit
two cannon back to back, I just put a single cannon in, and you can turn it
to face the side you want to fire (all for no crew actions or anything - in
other words, it's assumed there really are cannon on both sides). You may
also be able to offset the gun ports on narrower ships.

So my Red Seas Barracuda which is a slight modification of a Black Seas
Barracuda done in different colors, which is a class 7 ship, has two swivel
mount cannon on the foredeck, and has 5 gun ports on each side, and being
16-wide, is large enough to have cannon facing both directions.

Frank