 Pirates / 3405 (-20)
  Who says nobody builds ships?

Hello hello! My name is Benjamin Harris and I'm a new poster here. I've been lurking for several years now, but I finally decided to work up the courage to share a couple of my creations with the folks here at Lugnet. Anyway, since both creations (...) (21 years ago, 16-Jul-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: What inspires you?

(...) In no particular order The tall ships on Sydney Harbour - especially the Bounty replica. Which I often got close to (sometimes almost too close to) when sailing with my late father. Maritime Museums. I love museums generally, but particularly (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: What inspires you?

(...) My inspirations are rather all over the place, not from any one area. 1) Haratio Hornblower (A&E special TV series, very well done!) 2) Nelson's Navy -great reference book about the height of the British Navy 3) Pirates of the Caribbean -2003 (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  What inspires you?

It was mentioned in a thread recently that inspiration for building pirate stuff is not as common as other threads. But if we all share our favorite movies, books, songs(?), etc then perhaps we can help inspire someone else. So list your 5 favorite (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: HML Brig Demand

(...) -snip- (...) Thanks! The Demand is now fitted out with a suit of blue and white sails, and is looking even nicer (IMHO!). Although the number of nice looking British ships is not to be sneezed at. (Surely, they're all regflagged frenchmen, (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: New vessels set sail!

(...) -snip- (...) It really is a great colour scheme, LEGO really hit the nail on the head first time out! (...) My apologies... (I'll blame all the black) I missed that entirely! (...) They'd look really good with some extra fore and aft sails...! (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: New vessels set sail!

(...) thank you! (...) i really really like the red and white sails, even though they are not accurate. i also like the black white and yellow color scheme of the BSB, but when taking pictures, it is hard to make out details, because there is so (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: HML Brig Demand

(...) WOW! This ship and your other ships are amazing! I'm planning on a pirate themed town myself, so this is amazing. Kepp up the fantastic work. (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: New vessels set sail!

(...) Very nice work again! I love the look of the three tiered BSB sails. And the colour scheme is great, too. To my eye, the Orion's mainmast is too far aft, and I think both vessels could benefit from some tumblehome in the hull shape... but (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons wrote some good thoughts on some bits-n-pieces that would suit .pirate fans: (...) I could take-or-leave square lattices, but 2h windows would be great (fences are not that great), and 4h windows would be pretty (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote: <snip> (...) I might just take that to heart. All the stuff I see posted on pirates is cool, but out of my league brick-&-skillwise, so I generally build smaller stuff. Current project is a Spanish caravel, (...) (21 years ago, 12-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  New vessels set sail!

well, i finally got around to taking pictures of my ships. and, to follow up on my own observation about posting creations, i give you, without further adieu, Her Majesty's Frigate Reciprocity, and Her Majesty's Sloop Orion. (no resemblance to the (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: what makes us different?

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote good stuff. Drawing on a particular thread, I found that one arrived at a point where there were few dimensions left to extend. I like the hulls, and haven't found snotwise work very satisfactory for sailing (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: The Revenge

(...) nice small ship! you have a few of them, but i kinda like the color scheme here the best. i do not have a talent for building smaller vessels, but someday maybe. i like the story behind the sale of the vessel, i am having the same difficulty (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  The Revenge

In the spirit of posting more MOCs, here is the Revenge... (URL) With the arrival of the Misérable in Port Brique, the French Squadron found itself with a shortage of manpower and a surplus of vessels. A simple solution was proposed - dispose of one (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  1000steine-Land in Berlin - a review with pictures

Hello to all LEGO Fans! As some might have seen in a few highlighted Lugnet-postings, there has been "our" 1000steine-Land in Berlin/Germany last weekend. I just wanted to give a short show report here and share some insight views from a (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town, lugnet.space, FTX) !!

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) snip (...) HaHa... I expected a retort along that line from you! But in my lego world, the pirates have the edge! Civilized nations of any nationality live in fear of them. Be warned... :-P Cheers to you too! Tom (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) I've begun to think that the rigging is often as limiting as the hull pieces. The rigging is the weakest part (in all interpretations of weakest) of the Misérable, but I think I've come up with some solutions for the future (though they may (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) There's also the not-so-negligible oversight that Brickshelf doesn't even have a checkbox for Pirate photos/folders/MOCs !! (Star Wars fans don't have one either, but they just use Space) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) That's a large part of why I like building .pirate's stuff. It is a challenge, but it's rewarding. I was pleased when Kenneth Tam commented that the Eponine II "seems to have the smooth lines typical of a French frigate" or when challenged (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact