 Pirates / 3388
Re: what makes us different?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:57:22 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   I reckon there are a few reasons:

1. Building decent ships is a challenge, and tends to involve some difficult to find parts.
2. There is less popular culture inspiration for piratic stuff than for space (or even castle or town).
3. There is a generally high standard for MOCs on .pirates.
4. Space and Castle are so much easier to build for.
5. There aren’t that many .pirate fans.

Hi all,

Just a few thoughts from outside .pirates. There are some good points here, especially the first one. Right now, if I wanted to get into Pirate building there is only one set available from TLC, and that’s at $90. While they’re not exactly classic castle or space, the Harry Potter and Star Wars lines are good sources of pieces for those genres (recent Adventurers line too, for castle). Plus there have just been more sets built in those lines in the past, so there are more sets and pieces available through e-bay, bricklink, etc. Also, to build a ship, you pretty much need those ship pieces. You can build a decent castle out of basic bricks. Good point on 4 as well. I’d never really considered how the limited number of hull pieces limits the ultimate size of Pirate creations. Of course there are always ports and fortresses etc.

I’ve begun to think that the rigging is often as limiting as the hull pieces. The rigging is the weakest part (in all interpretations of weakest) of the Misérable, but I think I’ve come up with some solutions for the future (though they may have to wait until Richard Parsons completes his heretical hull expansion experiments).

   The point I would disagree with is point 3. If you look at the currently featured MOCs on .castle and .space, those would also be very intimidating to the new builder.

There’s some pretty average stuff too (for example, the Derotatinator), and also some simple, but clever stuff that doesn’t have a .pirates equivalent (jetpacks, pods, fleebnorks).

   I would argue that all of these genres have their outstanding builders who are intimidating to the newbie. The difference, IMO, is that it is relatively easy to get into those other lines, so there are also a lot more builders with less experience. Getting into Pirate building is much more difficult, for the reasons discussed above, so it will draw a much more committed crowd.

True.

   I think the other very important point is in your point 4. In those other genres, if you can imagine it, you can build it. There are people who build castles with exact details of real historical examples, but most probably stray from this, and many go far into the realm of the fantastic (hey, if it doesn’t fit with real physics, you can just call it magic). Even more with space. There are a few very nice MOCs of the International Space Station or there are those new sets from TLC based on the Apollo program, but these are rare. Pirate building, OTOH, has to stick at least somewhat to real ships. Some builders would find this restrictive. Of course, this is contradicted by the train crowd. Those guys are outstanding at sticking to exacting replicas of real trains, but that’s a much larger area.

Trains are certainly the exception, but they have the advantages of straight lines, 90° angles and prototypes of convenient proportions and sizes.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique