 Pirates / 3385
Re: what makes us different?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:37:39 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:
   Hear Hear! great coverage of all the issues. you make some very powerful points. just to add my own to your thoughts: building ships is a challenge, the parts are relatively scarce, and when they do come up, they can be expensive. what puzzles me though, (i ebay to find all my parts) is that all the pirate ship part auctions sell. people are buying the parts required to build ships, but the ships themselves are no where to be found online. obviously, not everyone who builds posts online, but one would imagine there would be more out there. second, the BSB was voted in as a lego legend, so people must like the pirate line at some level, so why are more not into building for it? are they perhaps, happy with their stock BSB? (a great ship, IMO the best, but one can always improve on lego sets :-) ) so, the interest in pirates is there, but interest in building MOC ships needs to be cultivated.

I agree that the BSB is the best, my BSB is still mostly intact (though the red gun port lids have been replaced by white ones... the red being needed elsewhere). My BSB is scheduled for a rebuild, to modernise it a bit - and upgun it alot.

I wonder if many of the eBay purchasers are buying parts to complete official models rather than MOCing away, too. That seems to be a major part of the hobby for some people - I know some eBay sellers have seemed a bit alarmed when I’ve told them they could keep (or destroy) boxes and instructions.

   the elitest argument has a very large ring of truth to it. on average, the quality of models posted on .pirates is high, and that can be intimidating. but, one’s model does not have to be better than the one before it, in reality, whos to say that some designs are better than others? i think that i may say that, we just like seeing other peoples MOC’s, regardless of if they are not the biggest or best, (or even if they are), for in viewing others creations, one may get ideas for ones own future creations, or even how to modify a current one. hey, you could even call posting “sharing information”, because perhaps you found a way to make a better mousetrap, and by posting it, it will not only generate interest, but will benefit others in their creations.

I agree here, too. Even posting about MOCs is cool if there’s interesting stuff. (Though telling me why an imaginary maybe-I’ll-build-it-one-day battlefleet is better than the Misérable is sure to annoy me).

A pic does tend to speak a thousand words though.

It occurs to me that an RBR is a ship which has been cheap, must be fairly common, and is crying out for improvement. Surely there aren’t unmodified RBR’s sitting on mantlepieces around the world! So what did people do with them? Let us see!

   the other arguments Mr Dulin makes are dead on. i have nothing to add to them. but, the moral of the story, is: if you have a creation, POST IT! we love to see them, whether it be your first one, or your 100th one, it matters not.

Absolutely!

Cheers

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique