 Pirates / 3404
Re: What inspires you?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:00:48 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Jason Spears wrote:
   It was mentioned in a thread recently that inspiration for building pirate stuff is not as common as other threads. But if we all share our favorite movies, books, songs(?), etc then perhaps we can help inspire someone else.

So list your 5 favorite pirate references.

In no particular order
  • The tall ships on Sydney Harbour - especially the Bounty replica. Which I often got close to (sometimes almost too close to) when sailing with my late father.

  • Maritime Museums. I love museums generally, but particularly the smaller maritime ones (Port Dock in Adelaide, Battery Point in Hobart).

  • Hornblower. Both the books and the recent series. Great stuff, with great detail.

  • Les Misérables (the novel particularly, but also the opera). It’s too modern for my chosen era, of course. One day, I’m going to do the whole thing in LEGO (those with good memories may recall my first post to .pirates was the Barricade on the Rue-de-Chanvrerie - nearly two years ago).

  • .pirates has been the source of a lot of inspiration. There’s a lot of talented builders, and a lot of knowledgable folk here - and a reasonable intersection of those two groups, too! :-)
Incidentally, my favourite piratic movie is Muppet Treasure Island. I like Yellowbeard too (which makes me fairly unusual). Does The Princess Bride count as a pirate movie? I do, after all, have a LEGO Dread Pirate Roberts. I wouldn’t count any of them in my top five inspirations, though.

Cheers (and happy Bastille Day - if it’s still Bastille Day in your part of the world.)

Richie Dulin
Liberté - Egalité - Fraternité

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique