 Pirates / 2850
2849  |  2851
Subject:
Info on IJN Takao (was Re: Be vewwwy, vewwy quiet...I'm hunting Richard's CVE)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:32:51 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I forgot to ask for some information on the ship....what is it?  The bow has
abandoned the reverse sloping bow of WWI era ships, but it still has a has a
rear-facing forward turret, which seemed to dissappear on ship design by the
start of WWII.  So, at a guess, early thirties?  Looks a bit light to be a
BB, so a HC (I don't recall any Japanese BC)?

  Excellent powers of deduction, Bruce!  :D  It is indeed a heavy
  cruiser, of the post-Treaty sort (built 1927-1932).  It's meant
  to represent the heavy cruiser Takao (but could also pass for the
  Atago), normal displacement ~13,000 tons, length at waterline 667
  feet.  I'll take it as a reasonably good modeling job that you
  can make the deductions!  ;)

  It's modeled at its general December 1942 state, although I did
  not have the time to produce a really accurate bridge structure
  (that's coming yet) or the low (~6 high) inner structure deck.
  The problems of compression, alas.

  best

  LFB

Here's some interesting info & 1 photo of the real Takao:

http://www.infomagic.net/~grog/Takao.htm

- Bob