 Pirates / 2841
Re: Be vewwwy, vewwy quiet...I'm hunting Richard's CVE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:29:38 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I forgot to ask for some information on the ship....what is it?  The bow has
abandoned the reverse sloping bow of WWI era ships, but it still has a has a
rear-facing forward turret, which seemed to dissappear on ship design by the
start of WWII.  So, at a guess, early thirties?  Looks a bit light to be a
BB, so a HC (I don't recall any Japanese BC)?

   Excellent powers of deduction, Bruce!  :D  It is indeed a heavy
   cruiser, of the post-Treaty sort (built 1927-1932).  It's meant
   to represent the heavy cruiser Takao (but could also pass for the
   Atago), normal displacement ~13,000 tons, length at waterline 667
   feet.  I'll take it as a reasonably good modeling job that you
   can make the deductions!  ;)

   It's modeled at its general December 1942 state, although I did
   not have the time to produce a really accurate bridge structure
   (that's coming yet) or the low (~6 high) inner structure deck.
   The problems of compression, alas.

   best

   LFB