 People / Newbie / 296
Re: Missing seams
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.newbie, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:39:30 GMT

In lugnet.people.newbie, David Woodward wrote:
   Any idea why the some pieces don’t show seams in POV-Ray but they do in MLCad? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I did search for it, but I didn’t find anything. (Newbie to all this.)

For example, this is the model as seen in MLCAD. (Notice the forklift has defined lines between the rails and the forklift platform.)

And this is the same model after being run through POV-Ray 3.6 (Notice there is no visible seam between the rails and the platform piece.)

Thanks for you help.

Hi David,

The short answer is that there are no seams, only lines. Since a line is a one-dimensional object it is invisible in POVray.

The long answer is that POVray won’t show edge lines because they are not really useful and don’t fit with the purposes of a raytracer. A raytracer exists to mimic the real world and in the real world there is no such thing as an edge line. MEGApov used to have an edge-finder routine but I think it’s been dropped as not being particularly valid for a raytracer. If you want to render instructions or such you should use LDview/ldglite.and you will get the lines. If you want to make ‘realistic’ renders you should use POVray.

Tim