 People / 594
Re: Slide rule generation Was Re: Purimish fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 05:28:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Frank Filz wrote:

Here's a web page with tons of old HP calculators:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/

Wow, interesting site!  As it turns out my calculator wasn't one of the earliest
after all but a second generation (now I don't feel so old!).  But what really
surprises me is that the one I use now (HP 15C) has been discontinued for over ten
years.

I used one of the early desktop models at my dad's work. I also used the
original Wang calculator at his work. Fun stuff.

I've got an HP 25C at home which I picked several years ago at a HAM
fest which had never been used (still had the registration card). The
batteries were dead, but I just dissasembled the battery pack and put a
pair of AA NiCads in. It's starting to get flaky, but I still use it
occaisionally.

I also occaisionally used a slide rule in high school, but mostly just
for fun.

I never liked using a slide rule (it was a requirement in high school chemistry).
But a couple of years ago a colleague of mine expressed an interest in slide
rules, so I started looking around at garage sales for him.  I found two Dietzgen
circular slide rules at one sale-- gave him the one copyrighted 1936 and kept the
1931 one.  I have since seen them on eBay (under something like Antique Scientific
Instruments)-- for quite a bit more than the 25 cents each I paid for them!

Maggie