 People / 575
Re: Purimish fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:40:47 GMT

ravi <helixwolf2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:FrwnvH.GwE@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:

Shiri Dori <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Normally I don't play the Devil's advocate, but what the heck:
http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/devil1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/devil2.jpg

After I heard how much fun my Israeli friends had over Purim break I • felt
like
I missed out on Purim this year so I decided to snag my sister's • haloween
costume... ;-)

-Shiri

Hi Shiri

I wish you could have come with me and my husband and younger daughter • Mon.
pm to hear the Megillah.  It was a wild time.  There's the Esther wave • and
the Mordecai cheer along with all the usual noise obliterating you know
who's name.  My 10 yr old went as a geisha.  Lots of very creative • costumes.
Follow up  Tues. am at my daughter's school was a "Harry Potter" like • Purim
play.  This Sun. is the annual Purim carnival- more silliness, costumes, • fun
and food .  Great picture of you...An angel dressed liked a devil... • Reminds
me of my own girls. (I have a 17 yr old daughter also.)

sheree

Sorry for being Blur(singlish phrase!!!) but what is purim-Jewish • holoween????
                                                                     Ravi

It does have that  aspect to it with the costumes and all.  The book of
Esther is the story of Purim. It centers on the plot of Haman, prime
minister of King Ahasueros of Persia to massacre the Jews of the country.
Haman's plan failed because of Mordecai and his cousin (niece?) Esther who,
after winning a beauty contest became the wife of King A.  Instead of the
Jews being killed, Haman was hanged on the gallows he had prepared for
Mordecai.  The Megillah is the scroll of Esther.  It is read in the
synagogue. Whenever Haman's name is said one shakes a grogger(noisemker of
sorts) to obliterate it.  People bake and eat Hamantaschen,  equilateral
triangle shaped pastries filled with fruit, cheese or poppy seed.  The
triangular shape is said to be because of the type of hat worn by Haman or
to be "ears" of Haman because it was once the practice to to cut off the
ears of criminals before hanging them.   We are joyful and thankful because
a day of doom was turned into a day of gladness.
It is tradition to send gifts of food to friends and to give to the poor.
There is a festive meal at which the Talmud says "a person should ply
himself (with wine) until he can no longer recognize the difference between
the words 'cursed be Haman' and the words 'blessed be Mordecai.'"
Masquerading in costumes,I think, started around the end  of the 15th
century in Italian Jewish communities.  Purim is a minor Jewish holiday.
My community also holds a carnival the Sunday after Purim where the children
(& adults) can wear their costumes yet one more time and celebrate together.
The children go to different booths and play games to win little prizes and
have  fun.  More hamentashen...  This is a very simplified explanation and
I've left bunches out but I hope this makes it a little clearer...

sheree