 People / 585
Re: Slide rule generation Was Re: Purimish fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:33:06 GMT

James Powell wrote:

  :-)  Let it suffice to say that I grew
up using a sliderule not a calculator.)

Ya well...I used one to finish grade 13 with...and I'm NOT old :).  I did it
for the sillyness of not having a decent calculator...got quite good at using
it, but it fades fast.

(I had a +-/* calculator, and the slide rule, and a book of engineering
tables...it worked just as well, and in fact is easier for some things, because
the tables included the easiest way to do things such as triangles)

Now, I have a _nice_ programmable calculator (TI-82) to do my math with, and it
still takes about as long.

James

I had a Casio 3600p during high school and a Casio 5000 during
university and was very happy with the latter especially. It was a very
efficient engineering student tool, AFAIK. It has built in matrix math
capability up to 5x5 (including solution of 5x5 linear equation systems)
and is very well in definite integrals, besides all the regular stuff
(statistics and such). For the programmable calculators, I think the
most potent was HP 48 which has alphanumeric equation solving
capability, just like Mathcad..:-)

Selçuk