 People / 563
Re: Purimish fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:54:18 GMT

In lugnet.people, Craig Hamilton writes:
enlighten me a bit on purim... seems enough like my favorite holiday,
halloween for me to like it.

It is! It's one of my favorite (jewish) holidays (1) and it has a lot in
common with Halloween.
There IS a story behind it but I have no time to tell it now; I'll just tell
you what we do:
a. dress up; b. make "haman's ears", cool and weird triangular dough with
filling (aka Hammotasch for American Jews). Supposedly the bad guy's (Haman)
ears were triangular shaped...; c. make little candy+good food packs, bring em
to the poor (2); d. read the "megilat Esther" which is the story about Purim,
how Queen Esther saved all the Jews (yada yada :-); e. the best part - party!

So you see why it's a great holiday?

i love the pics!  you're a red devil! ; how
can i not!? ;-)

LOL! I'm copying Mephisto...

I was thinking I'd take the horns and trident to school tomorrow for the
spirit... but nobody'll get it :-)
(Oh well, I'll just say I'm going as my math teacher ;-)

-Shiri

(1) Hey, I'm entitled to like holidays even if I don't celebrate them! :-)

(2) Er, well, not anymore... It used to be a "donate to the poor" thing in
older times, but nowadays it's a "bring em to class and have a random swap"
thing... really fun!