 People / 3837
Re: New e-mail address for Frank Filz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:33:51 GMT

In lugnet.people, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.people, Frank Filz wrote:

Started Friday. There was a blast a couple weeks ago also, but that
seemed concentrated on a single address so Earthlink's e-mail block
worked. Earthlink has been singularly unresponsive to the issue. They
keep telling me I can put my account on the highest level of spam
blocking, where suspect e-mail goes into a special folder, and still
uses mail quota. Gee, what a solution...

At this point, I'd love to be able to shut off receiving attachments.
Anyone who legitimately needs to send me an attachment can find a place
to upload it to for me (like a Yahoo group).

For what it's worth, I've beeen inundated by ~174K emails for the past few days,
too.  I've never has so many options for the new "M$ Security Patch" or the
latest male enhancement product.  I wonder what kicked off the flood?

I wish I could set a filter to block any emails (or attachments) larger than,
say, 50K (or whatever size I choose).  Of course, since I'm on a free email
server, I guess I get what I pay for.

The same here ... I've been getting these messages as well. Over 200 in the last
12hrs. I'm on a DSL, but its still taxing - it takes about 10 mins to download
my mail in the mornings. I've turned off the chime in outlook too, because there
are probably 10 false alarms to every good email that comes in.

I want to change addresses, but I have a couple Ebay auctions running with this
address. And, they are my first. I want them to go smoothly - does anyone have
recommendations for this?

I'm concsidering having my admin (a friend) set an autoresponder for my new
address (with appropriate anti-harvesting measures), but allowing ebay generated
mail to pass through. Does anyone see any problems with that, or have other
ideas?

I'd like to start afresh on LUGNET with a new address that is covered under the
spam filter from the get-go.

-Tim