 People / 3832
Re: New e-mail address for Frank Filz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 03:32:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:
My primary e-mail address has been getting absolutely swamped with junk mail,

Do you mean in general, or have you noticed this weekend the worst swamping
ever? Worms, *blasterus vermi* in particular.

I think Verisign, the top-level administator of .net and .com, with their
infamous withdrawal from the DNS and SMTP protocols last Thursday, has opened
the floodgates to this weekend's worm attacks. I doubt it will be fixed by
Monday. The problem seems to be that the old style worm attack under Outlook
Express would broadcast one attack per valid email address found (this hits that
email address and probably one more, the fake return address later.) Under
Verisign's broken DNS, even the bogus To: addresses result in a fake return
address getting hit too. ("fake return address" being an unrelated person, i.e.
you.)

I get hit more times per hour than ever before. I'm mad, but then I turned off
all the computers and went outside to play.

-Erik