 Parts / Custom / 13
Re: STL File for 3D Printing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts, lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:44:38 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Jason Spears wrote:

Nope, that wasn’t me. I’m a drafter (1). I haven’t been to any brick cons yet, although I’m 95% sure I’ll be at Brickfest in two weeks. But.. Hi yourself.

Ah, oh well. Nice to e-meet you.

We have 2 FDM machines and 2 SLS ones. I’d have to go down there to get model numbers.

That’s neat. I just spent a week at an RP conference, so the alphabet soup is still pretty fresh in my mind. I actually know what those acronyms stand for!

We use Pro/E, so I was justing planning to model the parts in mm and then export to stl. I’ve already got every basic brick modeled (2) plus a few fantasy bricks that MichLUG was brainstorming. Most parts that Tim would want would be easy enough to model up. (Bionicle parts could be tricky.) That lattice piller could be interesting, seeing as I don’t even own one, I might have to guess at some of the thicknesses, but the 2x2x5 is pretty basic.

Oh, OK, you’re doing it the “old fashioned way” - you’re modeling them from scratch! Yeah I started out doing that too, then I latched onto the LDraw bandwagon - using the LDU to “guesstimate” dimensions. It was easier to teach my students that way, as they didn’t have to learn how to measure, LOL. Of course the problem with doing that is when you go back to making real parts on an RP or CNC machine, the Ldraw dimensions aren’t accurate enough.. and sometimes they’re just plain wrong.

Tim, if you’re reading this, this is a problem with driving RP with LDraw data - the units don’t exactly match up, at least not with the conversion factor I used. With parts created just for graphical purposes, you’d never see this error, but with certain kinds of RP you have to be aware of it and/or adjust dimensions accordingly. Jason models completely independently of LDraw, like a lot of other commercial CAD/CG users. Theoretically, he stands a better chance of making RP parts that fit like LEGO without a lot of trial and error.

   (2) Family model, just type in how wide, by how long, by how tall and it regenerates into the brick you want.

Hey, I did one of those with configurations in SolidWorks. You should bring it to BF and show Tim, he’d get a kick out of it.

Darrell