 CAD / 11749
Re: STL File for 3D Printing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 07:51:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jason Spears wrote:

   I know the machines we have in our model shop at work could handle those, not sure about the StratsSys machine though.

Jason.. Are you the Architect who did the lecture on LEGO detailing at the last BricksWest? If you are, Hi, and if you aren’t, well... Hi anyway.

Having spent the last week making Rapid Prototypes, I’m curious about the type of machine you have in your model shop. Is it an old SLA machine? Or a ZCorp 3DP?

I ask not only because I’m interested in running LEGO through RP machines, but also because I’d like to know how an Architect’s model shop uses this technology. I know the Architecture school at UCLA (under Greg Lynn) is (in)famous for making all kinds of freaky organic models with their RP and CNC machines.

   I can get you stl files, no problem. Feel free to email me a grocery list of parts you would like. So long as they aren’t too complicated, I should be able to model them up during the week and send you all the files you’d like.

I’m also curious about this statement.. I know 3D Studio and AutoCAD can write STL files.. Are you thinking of modeling DAT parts in one of these applications and then exporting to STL? Or do you have some kind of translation software? I’ve done it both ways, but you have a different - read, “easier” - way to go from DAT to STL, I’d love to hear about it!

Darrell (also requesting FUT to parts and parts.custom)